Tuesday, July 19, 2005


Next day I went and walked the Queenstown/Glenorchy end of the Routeburn Track up to the Routeburn Falls which was a great fun 4.5 hour hike. It was also a lovely drive out to it (pictured below) Had to finish in the dark though because beforehand i went looking for a wee place called 'Paradise' which was on the map and signposted on the road but it wasnt there! Haha! I even went an extra mile and still didnt find it. I though this was quite interesting and got all philosophical about it!...Maybe people are always searching for Paradise where it doesn't exist. Hmmm....


I went on to Queenstown and did the Nevis Bungy jump which was a good laugh. 134 metress (440 feet) out of a cable car arrangement down a big mountain valley towards the river. Next day I went skiing at a nearby resort called Cardrona. All in all it was pretty poor....very limited skiing, any recent snow was very windswept making for a particularly good icy fall, the base of snow wasn't even a good covering, and of the 3 lifts one closed! Honestly...and they call it 'world-class skiing!' I think not. But maybe i'm spoiled with what i'm used to. Plus it was school holiday time so there were loads of precocious brats pushing for those 2 lifts. But i struggled on and did my best! Haha! Oh, and last complaint....there is no door-step skiing...it was a 1.5 hour bus journey EACH WAY to get to the slopes. Not fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

I read this and got a little unnecessarily defence of my little country...you know as you do about your little glasgow...it is only a small country and we are lucky to have any sort of skiing at all good or bad....plus you are here at the start of a very shite season for skiing in both islands.......ok I've had my rant....oh yeah forgot to mention the bus ride is ideal....think of all the hot ski buffs, you could have met along the way.......

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home